Assistant Camp Manager – Activities
Reporting to: Varsity International Camp Manager
Position: Temporary full-time
Pay: £600 per week inc. holiday pay (based on a 60 hour week)
Dates: Sunday 7th July to Sunday 18th August 2019 (part seasons will be considered)
Varsity International is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Summary of responsibilities:
Activity Planning and Management
You will be responsible for the planning and delivery of the daily activity programme and evening activity programme. You will lead on the creation of the timetable, ensuring the mix of activities available is in line with camp policy, staff skills/capabilities and ensuring all students can participate in the ‘crowd pleaser’ activities. You involve staff in the planning of activities then management them in the delivery of the timetabled activities. Although you will spend much of your time ensuring staff are delivering as expected, you should always be willing and ready to deliver sessions yourself.
Management of Camp and Staff
You are not alone in achieving the above. Alongside the Camp Manage, you will be part of the senior management team (SMT) with the Camp Manager and Assistant Camp Manager – Pastoral tasked with the day to day operation of our residential language and activity camp. Together you will lead staff by example, setting and maintaining high standards and addressing any shortcomings in a timely fashion.
Management Tasks and Organisation
You will hold responsibility for management tasks assigned to you. A key aspect of this role is to lead on the process of children taking part in exciting and meaningful activities. At all times you and the staff you manage must keep accurate records of aspects such as attendance, incidents, accidents, medication and maintain an open line of communication to the SMT regarding the welfare of children on camp.
Ensuring children are having a great time, are fit, healthy, sleeping well, eating well and achieving academically is a top priority for all staff. We take a pro-active approach to our responsibilities regarding this, building relationships with each child to understand how they are feeling on any given day.
You will be part of the staff team who lead excursions for the children visiting cities and attractions such as London or Thorpe Park. You will take responsibility for the excursion, ensuring staff and children are following our policy and procedures when off site and ensuring everyone remains safe and enjoys their experience.
Download this job description
Apply for this role
- Qualified in, working towards or significant experience within teaching, instructing or coaching activity sessions.
- First Aid qualification is essential.
- Committed to safeguarding with excellent knowledge and experience.
- Natural ability to communicate with children.
- Extensive experience in the delivery or meaningful activity sessions.
- Experience working with children aged 8 – 14.
- Management experience and confident when leading staff.
- Enthusiastic, energetic with a can-do attitude.
- Flexible, team player, able to adapt to dynamic situations and the challenges of a residential camp.
- Keen to fulfil a challenging, hugely rewarding and fun job in the summer holiday.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the camp on a day to day basis as part of the SMT.
- Lead and manage staff to achieve high standards in all areas of camp – most specifically those you are responsible for.
- Take responsibility for the daily activity and evening activity timetable.
- Complete management tasks essential to the smooth running of the camp.
- Prepare and deliver activities for children with a focus on integration (international and British children) participation, development, and enjoyment.
- Take responsibility for a boarding house overnight – max twice per week (asleep but on duty to wake if required)
- Lead weekly excursions for the children off site, ensuring their enjoyment and safety.
- At all times behave in a manner that reflects the expectations of Varsity International.
- Show the required energy, enthusiasm and professionalism for the duration of the season, acting as an ambassador for Varsity International, and behaving as a suitable role model for staff and children.
- Attend all training, induction and set up days to ensure you are 100% ready to deliver an awesome summer to every child.
Hours & Benefits:
- 10 to 12 x 5 hour shifts from Sunday – Saturday (at least one full day off per week)
- Free meals for the duration of your contract regardless of if you are on or off shift.
- Free shared accommodation – shared room with another member of staff.
- SMT Training weekend in Oxford – Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd June 2019 in Oxford.