Activity Instructor – Sport & Adventure
Reporting to: Varsity International Camp Manager
Position: Temporary full-time
Pay: £517 – £552 per week inc. holiday pay (based on a 60 hour week)
Dates: Sunday 7th July to Sunday 18th August 2019 (part seasons will be considered)
Varsity International is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Summary of responsibilities:
Sport and Adventure Sessions
The role of Activity Instructor is to deliver outstanding, fun and structured sport or adventure sessions to groups of children at our Varsity International Residential Language School. Our camps integrate international students with local British children therefore participation and personal development are key to our success. We offer full training for all adventure sessions (Quad Bikes, Zorbs, Axe Throwing etc).
Each evening we have a programme of social activities planned – these may include sports and adventure sessions as well as social sessions. You will take a role in organising and delivering these offering input to make each session a success.
You will be part of the staff team who lead excursions for the children visiting cities and attractions such as London or Thorpe Park. You will take responsibility for a small group, following our policy and procedures when off site and ensuring everyone remains safe and enjoys their experience.
Ensuring children are having a great time, are fit, healthy, sleeping well, eating well and achieving academically is a top priority for all staff. We take a pro-active approach to our responsibilities regarding this, building relationships with each child to understand how they are feeling on any given day.
Assist Varsity in the transfer of children from/to airports on changeover days. Welcome children and parents, giving them information about the programme and structure of camp. Keep accurate records of attendance, incidents, accidents and maintain an open line of communication to your manager regarding the children on camp.
Download this job description
Apply for this role
- Qualified in, working towards or significant experience within a relevant sports coaching or teaching qualification.
- Extensive experience working with children aged 8 – 14.
- Enthusiastic, energetic with a can-do attitude.
- A passion for working with and developing children through sport and activity.
- Experienced in the delivery or meaningful activity sessions with the ability and experience of tailoring the structure and content according to age and ability of the children.
- Good organisation and communication skills.
- Flexible, team player, able to adapt to dynamic situations and the challenges of a residential camp.
- Keen to fulfil a challenging, hugely rewarding and fun job in the summer holiday.
- Ideal for people looking to further their career within coaching or education.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and deliver activities for children aged 8-14 with a focus on integration (international and British children) participation, development, and enjoyment.
- Take a role in the organisation of camp being part of the team that delivers a smooth and outstanding experience to each child.
- Ensure all policies and procedures on camp are adhered to by yourself and the children in your care, including all health and safety, and safeguarding procedures.
- Take a pastoral role throughout your time at Varsity International.
- Manage children outside of activity times during break, meal times and social time.
- Take responsibility for a boarding house overnight – max twice per week (asleep but on duty to wake if required)
- Take a role in the leading of weekly excursions for the children off site, ensuring their safety.
- At all times behave in a manner that reflects the expectations of Varsity International.
- Show the required energy, enthusiasm and professionalism for the duration of the season, acting as an ambassador for Varsity International, and behaving as a suitable role model for children.
- Other ad-hoc duties (cleaning, equipment maintenance etc.)
- Attend all training, induction and set up days to ensure you are 100% ready to deliver an awesome summer to every child.
Hours & Benefits:
- 60-hour week split into 12 x 5 hour shifts from Sunday – Saturday (at least one full day off per week)
- Free meals for the duration of your contract regardless of if you are on or off shift.
- Free shared accommodation – shared room with another member of staff.
Staff are expected to attend the Training Day regardless of when their contractual term begins with Varsity International. Exceptions to this may be made in extreme circumstances.
- Training Day – Saturday 6th July 2019 at Cranford House School (OX10 9HT)