Varsity Language Schools Limited
When you book with Varsity International, Varsity Language Schools Limited is the data controller.
When do we collect your data?
- When you make a booking with us directly or an agent books a child on behalf of a parent – we will collect relevant information we need to process the booking, care for the child(ren) and keep you or the agent informed of the booking details.
- When booking via an agent, we will share information about you and your child(ren) with that agent.
- When you contact us via phone, live chat or email – we will keep emails (whether direct or via our website contact forms and live chat) from you and we may make notes on your booking of telephone conversations you have with our team, so we can act in the child(ren)s best interests. Phone calls are not recorded.
- When we meet face to face – you may give us your business card or details and we will use these contact details to keep you informed.
- When you sign-up to our communications – we will collect basic contact information to keep you informed of our summer camp locations, dates, programmes and offers.
- When you complete our optional surveys – we will keep a record of your answers and may follow up with you.
- When you sign your children in and out of camp (day camps only) – we will collect information about your sign in and out times, plus we may also require you to see and sign incident or accident forms.
- When you visit our website or click on our ads – to deliver the best web experience we can, we collect anonymous data about website usage including pages visited, devices used, browsers, pages visited and search terms you may have used to find our website.
- When you interact with our social media channels – you may choose to ‘Like Us’ or ‘Follow Us’ in which case you will share your social media user name with us.
What information do we collect and why?
For us to fulfil our contractual obligation to provide our services, best care for children during their time with us and to keep you informed of your booking(s) with us, we need to collect personal data about the booker (usually the parent/carer and if applicable the agent) and any children being booked.
The personal data we need to collect includes, but is not limited to, date of birth, gender, medical information, specific needs (physical and behavioural) and language details. This information is used to ensure that we have all the relevant information to best care for children and make informed decisions in the best interest of the children in the absence of parents/carer.
While your children are on camp and in our care, if there is a reportable accident or incident, we will complete a form detailing the nature of the accident or incident. If you are based in the UK or your child is attending a day camp, you will be asked to sign it to confirm you have seen and understood it – you may request a copy if you wish. If the parent/carer is overseas, we will send the accident or incident form via email as and when requested.
Parents, Carer and Agents
When you book with us, we need to register you and your child(ren) for us to fulfil our contractual obligation to provide our services, collecting your personal contact information so we can reach you before, during and after camp should there be any problems with your child(ren) while they are in our care. This will also include information about the value of your booking and how you paid.
When you register with us for the first time, we will create booking records which are stored on our office systems. Our office team can access this information to administer your booking and make changes as required or requested.
We may use your information to respond to queries, make changes to your booking details or handle complaints. We also keep records of communication between you and us so we can better understand and respond to your needs. This is done with your consent and on the basis that we have a legitimate interest to keep you informed.
If you sign up to our communications or have given us consent to send you marketing information (done during the booking process or via our online forms) then we will collect your contact details including name and email address. With your consent, we will use your personal data and preferences to keep you informed by email, web, text, telephone and through our Sales team about our programmes including dates, special offers, promotions, events, competitions and so on.
You are free to opt out/unsubscribe from these communications at any time – every marketing email we ever send has an unsubscribe option at the bottom of the email, by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Sales team on +44 (0)1865 582774 during UK office hours.
To process your booking, we will collect and store information about payments you make to us including the date, amount and method of payment. For your security, we do not store any payment card details within any of our systems as payments/refunds are handled by our third-party secure payment processor.
Website visit information
How long do we keep personal data for?
As a provider of summer camps for children, under the UK Limitations Act 1980 and UK Childcare Act 2006, we are required to keep records of children under our care until they are 21 years old. As well as the personal information given at the time of booking, this includes keeping records of who the parent/carer is (and the agent if applicable), any incident or accident forms that are completed during the time children are with us and any additional notes made during their time in our care.
Under HMRC requirements, we must keep financial records for 6 years from the end of the last company financial year they relate to – this includes all money received and from who.
We will not store card details within our system or in paper form when paying over the phone.
If you have not made a booking with us for more than five years, your details will be flagged as inactive and we will contact you to ask whether you want to be kept on our contact list. Unless you reply to say ‘yes’, we will remove your details from our records. As stated above, we are required under Limitations Act 1980 and Childcare Act 2006 to keep records of children under our care until they are 21 years old.
How do we protect personal data?
We know that you expect us to protect and secure the personal data you share with us about you and your child(ren), and that is why we take protecting your data very seriously.
We secure access to all booking and transactional areas of our website using ‘https’ technology.
Access to personal data on our office systems are password protected and all our staff are DBS checked to ensure they are vetted to handle child data.
Paperwork containing your and/or your child’s personal data which is shared with our Camp staff is stored in a secure office, at a secure school location. Camp staff need this information to properly care for children and make appropriate decisions in their best interests. All Camp staff are DBS checked.
When paperwork is returned to our office we shred the information we are not required to keep. Personal data we are required to keep until the child’s 21st birthday (see above) is archived in our offices in a locked storage area which only company directors have the access to. After the child’s 21st birthday we will erase your and your child’s data that we are required to keep from our systems or records.
We regularly monitor our office systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we carry out security updates to ensure the latest online threats and risks are mitigated.
Who do we share personal data with?
We will never share your child’s personal data with anybody or organisation outside of Varsity Language Schools Limited unless legally required for safeguarding reasons to under the UK Childcare Act 2006.
What are your rights over your personal data?
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you and your child(ren).
- To amend your personal data when incorrect or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing.
- To be informed as to how we use and process personal data.
To ask for your information please contact The Data Protection Officer, Varsity Language Schools Limited, 1 Farmoor Court, Farmoor, Oxford, OX2 9LU or email email@example.com. To ask for your information to be amended please email our Sales team firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on +44 (0)1865 582774. If we cannot action your request, we may have legitimate grounds not to – we will let you know why in this instance.
You have the right to withdraw consent to send you direct marketing at any time and we will always honour this.
Last updated 23rd May 2018